10 Tips to Help With Dry, Irritated, and Sore Eyes
In today’s busy world dry, irritated, and sore eyes are the price we pay for our uncontrollable usage of gadgets and unhealthy lifestyles. This article will help you with the ideas of what are the eye muscles that work behind our vision, what sore eyes are, the causes of such conditions, and some remedies and healthy habits for dry, irritated, and sore eyes.
Sore eyes are one of the most suffered cases we are facing nowadays. Irritation and dryness on the eyes can be caused by the huge consumption of blue lights coming from the gadgets we use like mobile phones, laptops, game stations, and television. Other causes could be poor sleeping habits, unhealthy lifestyle, pollution, incorrect eyewear, etc.
Sore eyes meaning
It is an unpleasant sensation in or around the eyes for various reasons. Due to some allergies or eye infections, our eyes feel itchy, red, and sore. Overworking or dehydration can be the other reasons for tired eyes, which become sore after excessive rubbing due to the dryness. Conjunctivitis and COVID-19 are some particular reasons for such ocular (connected with eye or vision) conditions.
There are mainly seven eye muscles that help the eyes move and function with optimization namely Superior Rectus, Inferior Rectus, Medial Rectus, Lateral Rectus, Superior Oblique, Inferior Oblique, and Levator Palpebrae Superiors (LPS).
There are four Recti (straight) muscles and two Obliques (slanted/inclined) muscles among the extraocular muscles that work together to move the eye from side to side, up and down, and control its rotation and alignment. Additionally, a muscle called LPS is responsible for the elevation of the upper eyelid.
Weakened or damaged eye muscles can cause headache, pain around the eyes, tiredness, eye strain or fatigue, blurred or double vision, red eyes, dryness, etc.
This term refers to the feelings of dryness, itchiness, pain, redness, or grittiness in the eye, which can be caused by the previously mentioned reasons.
Sore eyes symptoms
Sore eyes may cause symptoms affecting the ocular system like:
- Dry eyes
- Pain in eyes
- Itchy eyes
- Red or bloodshot eyes
- Discharge from eyes
- Watery eyes.
How do you get rid of dry irritated eyes?
- Include more omega-3 fatty acids in your diet to relieve the symptoms of dry eyes naturally. Eat fatty fish like salmon, tuna. Use soybean oil, ground flaxseed or flaxseed oil, eggs, walnuts, etc.
- Adding more tears can help the eyes from drying out. Tears naturally smooth and prevent dry eyes. So avoid blinking with a greater gap and let the eyes get their natural moisture.
- Change your environment by avoiding smoke or dry wind. Wear proper eyewear while riding a bike or motorcycle. Try wearing sunglasses, caps to prevent direct sun exposure.
- Use a humidifier in the wintertime to keep the air moist.
- Rest your eyes from frequent reading, tv watching, or using gadgets that cause dryness on the eyes. Try using the Pomodoro technique for your screen timing that breaks your workday into 25-minute chunks separated by five-minute intervals.
What is the fastest way to heal irritated eyes?
The answer to this question is to use eye drops that work the same as your real ones. These drops are called artificial tears. But always get a prescription from the doctor before using. Some drops come with or without preservatives. In case you want to use it more times a day, then choose the one without preservatives, because using too many preservatives can irritate your eyes further. For more chronic and serious cases, doctors may prescribe some steroid eye drops which ease the inflammation quickly but they can be used only for a short period.
- Those who are not getting any good results by using the regular drops can use alternative gels or thicker liquids prescribed by doctors. Use these gels before bed because the thick liquid can cause uneasiness or watery vision.
- For some severe cases, doctors can suggest the blocking of tear ducts temporarily or permanently so the tears can stay on the surface of the eyes for a longer time.
How do you get rid of eye irritation naturally?
Wash your eyes in regular intervals with fresh water. Applying a warm washcloth over your eyelids for a minute or two can remove some of the oil that helps the tear ducts to work better.
- Massage is a great helper for dry eyes. After closing your eyes try massaging your eyelids gently with your index finger in a circular motion. To massage the lower lids, move your fingers or cotton swabs up towards your lash line 5 to 10 times per day.
Eye drops for sore eyes
- Tear Drops Carboxymethylcellulose(5mg/ml)
- Aquasurge Eye Drops
- Loteprednol etabonate ophthalmic suspension (LOT)
- Refresh Tears Eye Drops
- Clear Eyes.
In the end of this short article, we can grasp the importance of having a healthy lifestyle, controlled habits, and a regulated diet for good and irritation-free eyesight that offers us a better vision and a comfortable life.
Make sure to check out 7 self-care tips for the flu
Revive Nursing Home
Baguiati, Kolkata – 700159
(Behind SBI & Axis Bank)
Emergency No. 033 – 6655 4433